Physical medicine and rehabilitation
At the ward, there are diagnostics, out-patient department, as well as treatment and rehabilitation of hospitalized patients.
The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation department aims to diagnose, treat and rehabilitate diseases and injuries of the musculoskeletal system of inpatients and outpatients.
Day-to-day work in the department’s clinic includes specialist and sub-specialist examinations (physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists and rheumatology sub-specialists). The clinic is located in the Staro Kupatilo building where the number of medical examinations goes between 9000 to 1000 each year. This way, using the latest methods know to modern medicine, patients who are able to come to the rehabilitation clinic are diagnosed, treated and continually monitored.
Stationary part of the ward is in the “Zelengora”, and there are 94 beds. Lodging is in double-bed rooms and single-bed rooms, with bathroom, telephone and TV set, too. Early and continued rehabilitation are performed at the ward:
- after surgical treatment at the orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery ,after injury, fractures, corrective surgery on the bone joint system, arthroscopic surgery of the hip, knee implantation, discus hernia surgery treatment, ligament surgical treatment, as well.
- in patients with inflammatory rheumatism (rheumatoid arthritis, M.Bechterew…), degenerative rheumatism (arthrosis, spondylosis, discopathies) and out joint rheumatism (myositis, fibrositis, fibromyalgia)
- in patients with metabolic diseases – gout, osteoporosis
- in patients with nervous system disease – central nervous system disease – state after brain stroke ( hemiplegia, hemiparesis ), multiple sclerosis, after myelitis, poliradiculopathies, after traumatic myelopathies, cerebral palsy.
- in patients with peripheral nervous system disease – trauma nerve damage, mono and i poly neuritis.
- in patients with peripheral blood vessels disease – obliterate atherosclerosis, complication of diabetes mellitus, varicose syndrome, lymph edema.3
Rehabilitation is under the constant supervision of the team of specialists and with the application of contemporary medical doctrine , as well as with the application natural healing factors – mineral water and healing mud – peloid.
At the Institute “Niška Banja” for belneo-physical therapy the following procedures are applied:
- pearl bath
- swimming pool with the movable bottom (for patient with difficulties at walking)
- pearl hydro galvanic bath and underwater massage
- local bath
Thermo therapy – means the application of the healing mud from Niška Banja.
- galvanic currents
- exponential currents
- diadynamic currents
- ultra-sound electro therapy
- electro phoresis with medicines
- interference currents with or without vacuum electrodes
- magneto therapy
- polarized light
- manuel massage
- a table for the extension of the neck and lumbar part of the spine
Therapy with lasers of low power.
- exercises in the water
- group exercises
- individual exercises
- walking along the paths in the woods – paths of health
- occupational therapy
Remark: Ward “E” for the specialized rehabilitation, does not have the license, issued by The Republic Fond of Health Insurance nor from the Republic Commission for Rehabilitation, for the admission of immobile patients.